Quiet, Please!
By Gordon Bailey
Chief Executive, Schools Outreach
Special to ASSIST News Service
HEREFORDSHIRE, UK (ANS) --
Unusually I found myself free from any speaking engagement in London one Sunday morning, although I was expected to preach at a church that evening. I decided, therefore, to find a church where I could take communion. I felt the need for a time of quietness and contemplation.
The following verses were written later that afternoon.
I sat in the church (I'd gone to break bread)
the pastor began to assure us
that we could spend time with our minds fixed on God,
but somebody thought of a chorus.
I wanted to dwell on the mercy of God,
on how He does love and adore us;
I longed just to meditate then on His grace,
but somebody thought of a chorus.
I knew, if we centered our minds on the cross,
that this would uplift and restore us;
I longed for some peace to share time on such thoughts,
but somebody thought of a chorus!
The pastor spoke quietly, his tone was just right,
he started to rightly implore us
to concentrate hard on the Christ of the cross,
but somebody thought of a chorus!!
The church became quiet, my mind was at peace,
I looked at the table before us;
I prayed for a vision of Christ crucified,
but somebody thought of a chorus!!!
I'm not in the new anti-chorus brigade
but why the new-fangled pretence
communing is helped by those toe-tapping tunes
and those words which so seldom make sense?
I do wish to meditate quietly at times,
unaided by musical violence;
can some be addicted to pause-less refrains,
as if they are frightened of silence?
I'm not anti-chorus, I just fear extremes,
and tune-chanting could be an illness
that makes us less likely to know more of God,
for God says we'll know Him in stillness.
| Should you be interested in corresponding with me, my e-mail address is: gordon2007@graffit.net. | |
** You may republish this story with proper attribution. Send this story to a friend.
This story is the personal opinion of the writer and does not necessarily reflect the views of the ASSIST News Service or ASSIST Ministries.
* Try these keywords in the Search This Blog box above: Uncommon, Corporate, Coordinator, Prayer, Revival...
* Coaching? Teaching? Preaching? on prayer - Contact Phil@nppn.org
* Pastor Phil's ministry schedule: http://nppn.org/Schedule.htm
* Join the Church Prayer Leaders Network @ http://www.PrayerLeader.com
Comments