Thursday, December 17, 2009

Prayer Prompt ...

Prayer in a World Gone Mad
Desmond Mpilo Tutu

How do you pray▬why do you pray▬when the world seems so determined to be godless and unjust?

When I was a student at theological college, one day Father Hugh Bishop, who was at that time superior of the Community of the Resurrection, gave a devotional address which remained indelibly impressed on me. I was very impressionable then. But he was speaking about the Society of the Precious Blood, which as we know is a contemplative order in England but also they have a house in South Africa. And he said something very striking and odd, "You know, it is this order, and people such as the ones who are educated in and practice the life of prayer who in fact hold the universe together." Their entire work, their opus, was to bring the world before God in their worship and adoration and intercessions. They are the salt of the earth, the leaven in the lump.

Fuller Theology, News and Notes, Fall 2009

* Type keywords in the "Search This Blog" box above
* Coaching? Teaching? Preaching? on prayer - Contact Phil@nppn.org
* Pastor Phil's ministry schedule: http://nppn.org/Schedule.htm
* Join the Church Prayer Leaders Network @ http://www.PrayerLeader.com

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Holy Spirit
You who make me see everything and showed me the way to reach my ideals.
You who give me the divine gift to forgive and forget.
I want to confirm once more that I never want to be separated from you no matter what the material desire may be.
I want to be with you and my loved ones in your perpetual glory.
Amen

I want to share this prayer because I believe that it really works. One has to pray it for 3 days without saying his intention. When it has been granted, please circulate this prayer so that others may try it as well. :-)

Merry Christmas!

Phil Miglioratti said...

... and a Blessed New Year!

May I give you another perspective on the theology that "prayer works"?

It us not the prayer nor the prayer nor the praying that "works" - It is the one to whom we prayer; Father, Spirit, Savior. Do not trust in how hard or often or loud (or soft) you pray. trust in the one prompting you to pray (Holy Spirit) in the authority of Christ for the glory of God the Father.

Maybe it is more accurate to say that God works when we pray ...