Friday, March 20, 2009

Q ~ How do we break the routine of praying off a list of prayer requests?

Prayer Leader OnLine

Q ~ How do we break the routine of praying off a list of prayer requests?

A ~ Corporate prayer is intended to be a spiritual experience but need-bound, down-the-list, around-the-circle praying often turns into a rote cerebral experience. Small group or congregational praying ought to be an adventure!

The letter below came as an emessage from a pastor listing the prayers expressed in their corporate meeting. My response, not meant as criticism, was intended to encourage them to pray across the list (beginning with the problem but praying toward the purpose of God) rather than merely down the list (simply retelling the problem and hoping God will act in some good way).

Dear Pastor,

While it is encouraging to see your list of prayers, it would be more enlightening to know how the Lord is directing those prayers. I call it praying forward. Taking the needs that prompt us to pray beyond the need toward the greater purposes of God. Praying forward moves us from reactive praying (need-bound) to proactive praying (need-prompted but purpose-directed).

Not criticizing; just eager to know more of the heart of God that prompts your praises and petitions.

Phil


For example, continue our prayers using the suggestions in bold ...

1. Sing unto the Lord all ye people because ...

2. Sing praises to His name for He is ...

3. Praise Him with cymbals and with harp remembering God ...

4. Let everything that has breath praise Him and we do, Lord by blessing you ...

5. Father, cause us to rejoice today in Jesus name because you have ...

6. Let every situation that is causing sorrow in my life come to end today in Jesus name so that ...

7. I command every chain that has tied me to one spot to break to pieces in Jesus name so that ...

8. Father pour your rain of blessings upon my life today in Jesus name so that I am empowered to ...

9. You are my God of salvation; deliver me from them that are too strong for me then we will be able to ...

10. Father rebuke every company of the wicked fashioned against me in Jesus name .so that you receive glory when ...

11. Today I receive power and strength to do exploits in Jesus name which will bear fruit for the kingdom of God by ...

12. Father I thank you for answered prayers they encourage me to ...


* Type keywords in the "Search This Blog" box above
* Coaching? Teaching? Preaching? on prayer - Contact Phil@nppn.org
* Pastor Phil's ministry schedule: http://nppn.org/Schedule.htm
* Join the Church Prayer Leaders Network @ http://www.PrayerLeader.com

No comments: