Monday, January 05, 2009

Why Pray in Jesus' Name?

.

I’M GLAD YOU ASKED…

(Q & A with a Prayer Champion Pastor)

Q. You always end your prayers to Jesus with “in your name” or “in Jesus’ name” … what’s so special about praying in the name of Jesus?


A. I pray that way because that’s how Jesus commands me to pray. Listen to His words in the Gospel of John. “And I will do whatever you ask for in my name.” (14:13) “If you ask me for anything in my name, I will do it.” (14:14) “The Father will give you whatever you ask of Him in my name.” (15:16) And that exact same promise is repeated in 16:23. And finally, “until now you have not asked for anything in my name; ask and you will receive.” (16:24) Please understand, the name of Jesus is not a secret code that works some kind of magical spell when it is invoked like “abracadabra”. It isn’t a tool with which to manipulate God. To pray in the name of Jesus means to pray “by the authority of,” “in harmony with,” or “sanctioned by,” Jesus Christ. He has given us the right to pray in His name because we are His representatives, and we ask as His representatives because we are about His business. But, it’s not just praying in His name, it’s also living in His name. Paul instructs us, “Everything you do or say, then, should be done in the name of the Lord Jesus.” (Colossians 3:17) Yes, the name of Jesus is special. “God raised Him to the highest place above and gave Him the name that is greater than any other name. And so, in honor of the name of Jesus all beings in heaven, on earth, and in the world below will fall on their knees, and all will openly proclaim that Jesus Christ is Lord.” (Philippians 2:9-11)

See you in Church

Blessings,

Pastor Rande

* Type keywords in the "Search This Blog" box above
* Coaching? Teaching? Preaching? on prayer - Contact Phil@nppn.org
* Pastor Phil''s ministry schedule: http://nppn.org/Schedule.htm
* Join the Church Prayer Leaders Network @ http://www.PrayerLeader.com

No comments: