Tuesday, September 23, 2008

What DID Jesus Pray?




What Would Jesus Pray?


I recently volunteered to lead a small group of junior high girls at my church. Along with building relationships and teaching them about God and His Word, I’m convinced that one of the most effective things I can do is pray for them. I have a problem, though. I want God to do amazing things in their hearts and lives, but when I try to put words to those desires I often draw a blank.


I ran smack into this “prayer block” a couple weeks ago. So I asked, “Lord, what should I pray for these girls?” Almost immediately, I remembered the prayer Jesus offered for His disciples in John 17. Of course! I thought excitedly as I reached for my Bible. What could be more powerful than asking God to give my girls the same things Jesus requested for the men He led?


So that’s what I did. In the process, I discovered another treasure: ways to ask God to help me be a better leader. If you facilitate a small group, perhaps these prayer points will provide fresh fuel for your own prayers.


Prayers for the group

  • “Father, glorify Jesus and Yourself through our group” (v. 1,10).
  • “Give members the eternal life that comes from knowing You, the one true God and Jesus Christ, whom You sent (v. 2-3).
  • “Cause them to accept and obey Your Word; use it to make them holy” (vv. 6,8,17).
  • “Protect them from the evil one by the power of Your name. Do not allow any to turn from You” (vv. 11-12,15).
  • “Unite them completely so the world will know the truth about Jesus and Your love (vv. 11,22-23).
  • “Fill them with Your joy” (v. 13).
  • “Empower them to be effective witnesses for You. Bring many to believe in Jesus through their message” (vv. 18,20).
  • “Show them how glorious Jesus is. Let them experience Your deep love and intimate presence in their lives” (vv. 23,26).


Prayers for me, the leader

  • “Lord, help me glorify You through this ministry. Give me strength to complete the work that You have given me” (v. 4).
  • “Enable me to reveal Your character and heart to those in my group. May my words and actions come directly from You” (v. 6,8,26).
  • “Show me how to protect them” (v. 12).
  • “Help me equip them to carry out Your mission in the world” (v. 18).
  • “Sanctify me so they too may know and live the truth” (v. 19).
  • “Draw me into oneness with You. Allow me to experience the depth of Your love so I can pass on that love to them” (v. 22-23).

Dianne Bundt, Editor, DJ Online News

* Type keywords in the "Search This Blog" box above
* Coaching? Teaching? Preaching? on prayer - Contact Phil@nppn.org
* Pastor Phil's ministry schedule: http://nppn.org/Schedule.htm
* Join the Church Prayer Leaders Network @ http://www.PrayerLeader.com

2 comments:

Keith said...

This is such a great point to remember. "What did Jesus Pray".
When it comes down to the bare core of who we are, we really only have the value of our relationship with God.

When we agree with God in Prayer, I think that's when mountains move.

Thank you for your encouraging words through your blog.

www.impactevangelism.org

Anonymous said...

for god so loved the world the he gave his only begotten son that whosever beleives in him shall not perish but have enternal life