Friday, May 11, 2007

Quiet, Please!

A longing for peace

By Gordon Bailey
Chief Executive, Schools Outreach
Special to ASSIST News Service

HEREFORDSHIRE, UK (ANS) --

Unusually I found myself free from any speaking engagement in London one Sunday morning, although I was expected to preach at a church that evening. I decided, therefore, to find a church where I could take communion. I felt the need for a time of quietness and contemplation.

The following verses were written later that afternoon.

I sat in the church (I'd gone to break bread)
the pastor began to assure us
that we could spend time with our minds fixed on God,
but somebody thought of a chorus.

I wanted to dwell on the mercy of God,
on how He does love and adore us;
I longed just to meditate then on His grace,
but somebody thought of a chorus.

I knew, if we centered our minds on the cross,
that this would uplift and restore us;
I longed for some peace to share time on such thoughts,
but somebody thought of a chorus!

The pastor spoke quietly, his tone was just right,
he started to rightly implore us
to concentrate hard on the Christ of the cross,
but somebody thought of a chorus!!

The church became quiet, my mind was at peace,
I looked at the table before us;
I prayed for a vision of Christ crucified,
but somebody thought of a chorus!!!

I'm not in the new anti-chorus brigade
but why the new-fangled pretence
communing is helped by those toe-tapping tunes
and those words which so seldom make sense?

I do wish to meditate quietly at times,
unaided by musical violence;
can some be addicted to pause-less refrains,
as if they are frightened of silence?

I'm not anti-chorus, I just fear extremes,
and tune-chanting could be an illness
that makes us less likely to know more of God,
for God says we'll know Him in stillness.


Should you be interested in corresponding with me, my e-mail address is: gordon2007@graffit.net.

** You may republish this story with proper attribution. Send this story to a friend.
This story is the personal opinion of the writer and does not necessarily reflect the views of the ASSIST News Service or ASSIST Ministries.

* Try these keywords in the Search This Blog box above: Uncommon, Corporate, Coordinator, Prayer, Revival...
* Coaching? Teaching? Preaching? on prayer - Contact Phil@nppn.org
* Pastor Phil's ministry schedule: http://nppn.org/Schedule.htm
* Join the Church Prayer Leaders Network @ http://www.PrayerLeader.com

No comments: